Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Coconut Velvet Cake




Last weekend was Chris' sister's 20th birthday. I made her a 'red' velvet cake that was turquoise instead of red with coconut custard filling.

I used rolled fondant for the top of the cake and then adhered the coconut with icing to the sides. I was going for an ice melting - spring is here kind of thing. It kind of looked like the head of the abominable snowman from Monsters,Inc. I also got to practice my not-so-great writing on the cake skills and just for some fun added a few flowers to the mix.
Chris' Mom can't really have too much sugar and did not really want to have coconut so I made her a few cupcakes of her own so that she wouldn't feel left out. She ended up eating the cake anyway but the cupcakes still turned out cute. I was going for a purple color for the velvet cupcakes but they kind of turned out mauve.
They were still good though.

No comments: